Why Children and Parents Love the B.E.N.
- Throughout the year, there is continual and progressive work on values and qualities which allow for kind, respectful and supportive exchanges amongst the children. Age appropriate values and qualities are specifically taught and demonstrated by each teacher.
- Each child is respected as an individual. Children are listened to and taught how to enhance their social skills and how to deal with difficulties. We provide children with useful learning tools that offer every child a sense of belonging and importance.
- Learning at the B.E.N. covers the Ontario curriculum expectations in very practical, enjoyable and active ways. Each child is fully engaged – mind and body.
- Teachers and Parents work together to help the child - we encourage parents to be active partners in their children’s education by on-going communications, regular reports and Parent Workshops.
- We celebrate individual successes. Success builds upon success and we help children to recognize and concentrate their successes with small ceremonies of recognition as well as through community events, performances, and art exhibits.
- Arts are integrated into the academic learning. Different disciplines such as dance, music and visual arts are incorporated into the lessons. This engages the child’s creativity and imagination. Research indicates that students who are involved with the arts show higher academic achievement.
- Community is important to us. Learning is fostered through experiences within the surrounding community such as trips to the local library, ROM and Science Centre. We care about our neighbourhood and participate in the clean up of the neighbouring park, say hello to our neighbours and volunteer at a Seniors Centre. We learn that we are part of a community and can find ways to contribute.